Dear Readers:
I am the parent of a child diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD). My child has high functioning autism (HFA) meaning that he is able to communicate, does not have overly severe social impairments, and his IQ is 100 or normal. Our family has survived elementary school with the annual challenges of the Christmas concert, the family dance in February and the June fieldtrip. As a parent I was able to plan and work with teachers to make these events something my child could participate in. Now my child is in the middle of grade 7 and he is starting to notice that peers are enjoying sleepovers, movie nights, and long talks about the opposite sex. The angst my child felt participating in group productions has been replaced with a broken heart at rebuffed attempts at friendship and isolation from peers. He is frustrated because he really has no idea why he is excluded or what he can do to change things.I haven’t read anything more technical than a cook book in awhile, so I have attached the article for any of you who would like to read along with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment