Sunday, 10 April 2011

The Article-Part 2

I am reading the article slowly and carefully. Today I am halfway through the second page and I am learning about the results of a short-term outpatient social skills program. It is called the Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills (PEERS). This is what I learned:

-Instruction took place in a small group, using evidence-based methods to teach social skills to teens with ASD

-They used brief, direct instruction, role play, modeling, practiced good behavior, coaching with performance feedback, and weekly socialization assignments with homework that is reviewed

-Parents took part in this program during the same time frame, but in separate sessions for the kids. The article says that previous research found including the parents is important because parents can have significant effect on their child's friendships

-The PEERS intervention focused on teaching rules of social etiquette such as conversational skills, joining and leaving a group, friendship networks, good sportsmanship, and handling teasing, bullying, and arguments


No comments:

Post a Comment